Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A change of heart


Our kitchen is in the works now. We have decided on white shaker-style doors on the kitchen and vanities and charcoal shaker doors on the island. The question of what type of counter tops has been a source of anxiety for some time. I have never been a fan of granite. I find it too busy, too much colour and pattern, too shiny, too cold and too expensive. I considered alternatives but nothing I saw was quite right. What to do...?
On my way to Courtenay on the old highway near Union Bay I have passed North Island Granite hundreds of times, assumed they were wholesalers and never stopped. Then one day I did stop, deciding I had nothing to lose. I saw a lot of what I expected in granite and then I saw the Marinacci and I knew that was it....and on sale too! The slabs arrived the other day.




The stone that looks so much like the bottom of the the Nile creek will go on the island and the plain black will top the the balance of the cabinets. Yes, it is still busy but also somehow appropriate. With templating and fabrication it will be several weeks before we see it all come together. Ever closer to moving in.

No comments:

Post a Comment