Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Suburban Deer


Deer abound here on Vancouver Island and they have adapted to the urban sprawl; they graze at the side of the road, they amble down neighborhood streets and sidewalks, nibble almost any leafy plant, bush or tree and rest in the shade wherever they find it. They're smaller than the deer in Ontario but just as beautiful. The buck above left has been bedding down during the heat of the afternoon in my Dad's backyard, drinking from the bird bath and watching the kids play in neighboring yards. Mom's hostas have been decimated - just stems now. If ever I thought I might plant them once we get settled - I'm having second thoughts... what would be worse, the deer or the slugs? My Mom loved rose bushes and I remember her planting a prized chocolate rose and waiting the first year for that one bud to open - only to have it disappear on the eve of blooming. Same with tulip bulbs, she planted hundreds every fall and they met the same fate. Mom just shrugged, she loved the deer. Next year she was out planting again. I once watched a fawn grazing in a bed of pink impatiens - not a bloom was left when it was finished, but what an adorable sight - right out of Bambi. Gardening here will be interesting. I think I will opt for low maintenance native plants, grasses, moss and ferns ....and put out food for the deer.

No comments:

Post a Comment