Monday, September 13, 2010

Close Encounters

For the denizens (man and animal) of Charlton Drive and the Nile Creek, life right now is all about the pink salmon. The creek is full of them and the age-old ritual of perpetuation, of death and re-birth is in full swing. This is a season of bounty for the predators, ravens, gulls and eagles, otters and bear and they are making the most of it. Signs of the bears are everywhere, piles of scat (poop), half eaten fish, huge paw prints in the sand and teeth marks in the lid of the brand new garbage can we left on site for construction garbage. Pics below: salmon victims, a (blurry) sea otter, new Roughneck full of holes and half eaten fish (yuck!!). I spared you pictures of bear scat :-)



I'm still out of my element here, more saavy at Bay and Queen than on the stream and in the woods. I was standing on the bank watching the fish this morning and so intent on the activity that I didn't see the black bear until he was right across the bank from me, maybe 30 feet away. He had to know I was there, but didn't seem too concerned and as I slowly backed away up the bank he carried on down the stream, scouting for fish. I didn't have the camera with me and I'm not sure if I would have had the presence of mind to take pictures anyway. It is more than a little intimidating to be so up-close and personal with a black bear. Lesson learned: I need to be much more aware of my surroundings and not only see the signs, but heed them as well.
I have made numerous attempts at photographing the salmon as they force their way upstream, but it is beyond my timing and skill, like trying to shoot a bolt of lightening. Two attempts (below) at least show some fish. So, still doesn't work - here are my first amateurish attempts at video. Remember, it's about the fish...




1 comment:

  1. It is amazing the damage bears can do. Our compost gets hit every now and then and teeth marks and claws scratchings are all over it. The worst we saw, though, was in a gas can they destroyed. Apparently there is something in gasoline they like too. Stay cautious and alert.

    ReplyDelete